Progress report for the past week

I’ve read a lot about about messaging systems, JMS and how they relate to publish-subscribe, but I think I need to start programming to get a feel for what it really is about. The Enterprise Integration Patterns book that I’m borrowing has kept me busy most of the week. I’ve also drawn a few other models for the system with different level of abstraction. You can view the new models in this PDF: Location-based event system models.

I’ve checked out Apache MQ and is seems like something I can use. It supports lots of different transport protocols for message exchange and the configuration doesn’t seem to be too tricky. It also supports JMS 1.1 which is the latest version of JMS. I also tested Git a bit and I’ve decided to start using it on this project. At the surface it doesn’t seem to be very much different from Subversion, which I’m used to, but the fact that you can commit to a local repository/index is a big bonus. I look forward to explore the distributed features in Git.

Estimated time used for the project the past week: 38 hours