Progress report so far

So far I’ve read a lot of literature about location-based/aware systems and also a few things about publish-subscribe based event systems. The architecture of the system I intend to design is shown as part of a set of slided I made a while ago. I found a way to make the architecture more generic by using a publish-subscribe based system on the home server. Check these PDF files for the original and the new slides.

The original slides were based on the assumption that the mobile phone already knew the status of the alarm system. That isn’t very realistic so the new slides makes use of an event driven system (publish-subscribe) to make the phone aware of the alarm system status. The correct order to read the slides would be to first look at the new slides and then the process continues in the original slides.

I’ve also tried out the Android SDK and written a few small applications to understand how it works. Since there might be better mobile phone frameworks/platforms that can be used I’ve also done some research into other related frameworks/platforms. The disadvantage of Android is obviously that it doesn’t have any supported phones on the market yet, but on the other hand it’s a quite powerful platform compared to some of the others which are already in the hands of consumers.

I estimate that I’ve used about 40 hours on the project the last 7 days. It’s probably a bit more than 100 if you count from when I began and till now. I’ve also put together a project plan which is nice to have.

Advertisements

Progress report for week 37

In week 37 I’ve been working on the report and I’ve written about the architecture design and about exact cover problems and a bit about how the Dancing Links algorithm works. I’ve been looking into some of the other Dancing Links implementations which are released as open source and tried to see how they solved the problems. Most of the implementations were made for one specific purpose (solve sudoku, n-queens and polyomino problems). This is different from my implementation which will be a generic solver, but with direct support for some of the specific problems.

The file format which the problem matrices will be stored in has been sketched out, but I need to investigate what features the Grid middleware has for dealing with file transfer and reading. My main canditate is BOINC, but I’ll be checking out other possible options soon.

I’ve been a bit busy with another report so I’ve not been able to fully implement one of the problem transform like I had planned. Other than that everything is going according to the plan. I’ll make an extra effort to neutralize the slippage the following weeks.

NOTE: This post has been imported from my old it’s learning ePortfolio DECS blog.